There are many things to consider when looking for a central air conditioning system for your home. Considering size, energy efficiency, and moisture performance is a great idea for any homeowner.
Central Air Size
If you are looking to purchase a central air conditioner, it is essential to determine the correct size to fit your home and most effectively cool your home. Purchasing a central air conditioning unit that is too large turns on and off very frequently, as compared to one that is of the appropriate size. When air conditioners turn on and off frequently, they are wasting energy and money that could be saved if the unit was sized properly.
Undersized units are also not very effective for your home because they won't be able to cool rooms completely on the hottest days, and it will cost more to operate it because it has to run longer than a correctly sized unit.
Central Air Advantages
- Central air conditioners are not inside the house, thus they are perfect for many homeowners-- the inside space is kept looking modern and updated.
- These systems are easily controlled by a simple console that can be programmed to run at certain times and temperatures during the day
- Central air conditioners make less noise, and are almost undetectable compared to an indoor portable air conditioning unit.
- Value is added to the home when you invest in central air conditioning. Many people look for homes with central air systems and if your home has one that is a huge selling feature.
- Central air systems can improve your indoor air quality. These systems have filters for air to pass through picking up dust, pollen, and lint that would otherwise be floating around your house.
Central Air Disadvantages
- Central air is expensive to run in your home all the time.
- Because central air systems are installed to fit the size of the home, closing doors will cause the system to not work properly as they are designed to flow throughout the entire household
- If a window is left open anywhere in the house, the central air has to work harder and this greatly increases energy consumption and ultimately cost
Portable AC units Advantages
- Portable air conditioners are great for controlling the temperature in only rooms that you are using.
- They are energy efficient because unlike central air conditioning that goes throughout the whole house and might be cooling rooms you don't even use, portable air conditioning units can be taken with you and plugged in for instant temperature control.
- There is no installation required for portable air conditioners which makes them an easy addition to any home
Portable AC units Disadvantages
- They only cool the area directly around them, and neglect to cool the entire house
- Portable AC units tend to make a lot of noise which is a drawback for most homes.
- Energy consumption can be high compared to their performance.
Although there are positives and negatives to each system, it's always best to understand how to save energy regardless of what you choose!