With the help of some tips from ENERGY STAR, we can more efficiently make use of the rooms in our home. No one enjoys wasting resources, but finding ways to save these resources isn't always as easy as we'd like. So, here are some great ways to reduce unnecessary water usage and to increase your home energy savings.The Infamous Bathroom
Most people use the bathroom to take a load off, you can be as creative as you'd like with that phrase. The point is that the bathroom can provide some pretty great ways for relaxation. From taking baths and long warm showers, to reading and other pampering ideas!
Although we can sure relax in the bathroom, we can also use it to cause some of our energy saving stress! Did you know that the water used in the bathroom amounts to half the water used throughout the whole house!?
You can reduce your home energy savings by implementing some guidelines to your relaxation.
The Kitchen & Laundry Room
- Don't allow the water to aimlessly flow whether using the tub or shower, or when brushing your teeth.
- Take shorter showers and use as little water as necessary when taking a bath. Oh, and pile the kids into that bath! In this case, three is definitely not a crowd.
- Avoid flushing your toilet an excessive number of times.
We worry about wasting food when we're in the kitchen, but we may not always consider the effects of our water usage. Think about all the ways water can be more efficiently used in the kitchen compared to its current usage.
- Measure water and dump out the excess instead of using precision.
- Grab a glass, fill it with water, take a sip and dump out the rest. Drink what you need!
- Let the water run until it finally gets cool instead of keeping a jug of cool water in the refrigerator.
- Allow the water to run while washing dishes or vegetables instead of filling the sink, scrubbing the plates and putting in dishwasher, or scrubbing the veggies.
- Run water to defrost food instead of using a defroster or putting it in the refrigerator over night.
- Fill a huge bucket with water and cleaner only to remember you have an appointment so you toss out the water.
- Use the dishwasher before it's full.
These things are easy to do and we're all guilty! We can keep them in mind the next time we're in the kitchen so as to lessen any unnecessary water usage.
When it comes to the laundry room, we have to utilize one major principle: do not use unless full! You can use cool water when washing your clothes, and adhere to any instructions regarding load size.
Lower Your Water Bill
These tips can surely help you lower your water bill and conserve energy. Did you know you can magnify your water conservation savings by having someone conduct a home energy audit of your house?! It's true.
Contact Dr. Energy Saver™ Dutchess County to identify the areas in your home that aren't performing to their highest energy efficiency capability. They offer an array of ways to save energy in New York!